This arrangement, set to be implemented in 2024, aims to strengthen the ties between the two nations while providing young individuals with valuable international experience and strengthening cultural exchange.
Here are the details of the Youth Mobility Agreement:
“Youth mobility arrangements are all about supporting our young people—their dreams, their passions and their potential to make a difference. With this exciting arrangement in place, we are creating a path for them to connect, learn and grow together, fostering friendships and memories that will last a lifetime. Together, we are building a world where our youth can gain valuable life skills and experiences, while supporting Canadian employers with a larger and more diverse talent pool.”Marie-France Lalonde, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship
“Iceland is very pleased to sign a youth mobility arrangement with Canada, here in Manitoba. Through this arrangement, Icelandic and Canadian youth will have the opportunity to work and travel in each other’s country, exploring new cultures while enhancing their life skills and improving career prospects.”The Honourable Áslaug Arna Sigurbjörnsdóttir, Minister of Higher Education, Science and Innovation, Iceland
Photos of the signing of the arrangement are available in Dropbox for use by the media.
What is the Youth Mobility Agreement?
The Youth Mobility Agreement allows Canadian and Icelandic youth to work and travel in each other’s countries through the International Experience Canada program or the Icelandic equivalent.
Participants can stay for up to 12 months initially, with the possibility of repeating the experience for another 12 months.
Benefits of the Youth Mobility Agreement:
- International Experience: Canadian youth will have the chance to explore a new country, immerse themselves in a different culture, and broaden their horizons.
- Career Advancement: By working abroad, young individuals can develop valuable skills and gain professional experience that will enhance their future job prospects.
- People-to-People Ties: The agreement strengthens the bonds between Canada and Iceland, promoting mutual understanding and cooperation.
- Cultural Exchange: Participants will have the opportunity to learn from each other’s customs, traditions, and way of life.
- Large Icelandic Community in Canada: With 101,990 people of Icelandic origin living in Canada, this agreement allows many to reconnect with their cultural roots.
- An open work permit allows you to work for any Canadian employer.
- No requirement for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).
- A randomized draw system for the approval of IEC work permits.
IEC encompasses three separate programs, each designed to meet varying interests and needs of potential applicants:
- Working Holiday: This program allows individuals to work for any employer in Canada and is an excellent choice for those wishing to earn money while travelling in Canada.
- Young Professionals: This program is designed for those seeking professional development. It offers the opportunity to gain valuable international work experience in your field of study or profession.
- International Co-op (Internship): Specifically designed for students, this program allows candidates to gain valuable international work experience related to their field of study.
How Many Youth Can Participate?
Up to 120 youth annually from each side can work and travel in the other country.
How to Get Started:
- Wait for Implementation: The agreement will be implemented in 2024; stay tuned with +1 News for updates.
- Prepare Documents: Ensure you have all the necessary documents for your application, including a valid passport and any required permits.
- Choose a Category: Decide which program category suits your goals and qualifications best.
- Apply through International Experience Canada: Submit your application through the official website once the agreement is in effect.
- Consider Recognized Organizations (ROs): If you need help planning your trip, consider using a recognized organization that offers work and travel support.
The Youth Mobility Agreement between Canada and Iceland opens new doors for young individuals seeking international adventure and professional growth. With the implementation set for 2024, Canadian youth can look forward to exciting opportunities in Iceland, enriching their lives and contributing to a more interconnected global community. Stay updated on the process and get ready to embark on a life-changing journey!