June 13, 2023 – Canada’s Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, under the leadership of The Honorable Sean Fraser, has introduced an innovative approach to bridging the talent gap in the country. By expanding the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot (EMPP), Canada is opening new doors for skilled refugees and other displaced people, showcasing a model of immigration that balances both economic and humanitarian values.
Understanding the EMPP Initiative
The EMPP is a game-changing initiative that recognizes the untapped potential of skilled refugees and displaced individuals.
This is what it involves:
- Speeds up the immigration process for talented refugees and displaced individuals.
- Removes the necessity for Canadian work experience.
- Addresses labour shortages in the country.
- Empowers refugees to utilize their skills to uplift their lives and contribute to their new communities.
New EMPP Streams Unveiled
The Canadian Government has launched two distinct streams:
1. EMPP Federal Skills Job Offer Stream:
- Nurse aides
- Personal support workers
- Long-term care aides
- Software engineers
- Web designers
- Mechanical and electrical engineers
- Logistics and warehouse workers
- Tourism and hospitality workers
- Truck and delivery service drivers
2. EMPP Federal Skills Without a Job Offer Stream:
This stream recognizes that some candidates possess highly in-demand skills, and they will be able to secure work once they arrive in Canada.
Eligibility for the New Economic Streams
- For the Job Offer Stream, candidates must meet the minimum language proficiency, have relevant past work experience, and have adequate education. They are not required to present proof of an educational credential assessment or settlement funds.
- For the Without a Job Offer Stream, candidates must meet higher language proficiency requirements and have superior past work experience and education. They also need to present proof of an educational credential assessment and demonstrate adequate funds for settling in Canada.
- Study in Canada: Your Ultimate Guide as an International Student
- Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) in Canada: The Complete Guide for International Students
Benefits of EMPP:
The expanded EMPP offers multiple benefits:
- Addresses labour shortages in various sectors
- Facilitates the economic integration of refugees
- Provides a platform for refugees to rebuild their lives
- Bolster’s economic growth by harnessing global talent
A Win-Win Solution for Canada and Skilled Refugees
This expansion of the Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot is a powerful testament to Canada’s commitment to humanitarian causes and economic growth. By creating a pathway for skilled refugees and other displaced individuals to contribute to the Canadian economy, Canada is not only addressing labour shortages but also fulfilling its humanitarian commitments on a global stage.
By offering pathways for skilled refugees and displaced individuals to contribute to the Canadian economy, the country is tackling labour shortages head-on and staying true to its humanitarian commitments. The Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot is not just a lifeline for displaced individuals; it is a model for global cooperation that balances economic growth with compassionate action.
What is Canada’s new Economic Mobility Pathways Pilot (EMPP) program?
What are the two new streams under the EMPP program?
Canada has introduced two new pathways under the EMPP. The first is the ‘Federal Skills Job Offer Stream’ for people who already have a job offer from a Canadian employer. The second is the ‘Federal Skills Without a Job Offer Stream’ for skilled individuals who don’t have a job offer yet but have skills that are needed in Canada.
Who can apply for the ‘Job Offer Stream’?
If you’re a refugee or displaced person and you have a job offer from a Canadian employer, you can apply for this stream. This includes jobs like nursing, engineering, logistics, and many others.
Who can apply for the ‘No Job Offer Stream’?
What do I need to be eligible for these EMPP streams?
To apply for either of these EMPP streams, you must have certain work experience, education, and language skills. The requirements are a bit higher for the ‘No Job Offer Stream’ as you’ll need to find a job after you get to Canada.
How do these new EMPP streams help Canadian businesses?
These new immigration pathways open up a global pool of skilled workers for Canadian employers. This can help Canadian businesses fill open jobs and tackle ongoing labour shortages.
What benefits do refugees and displaced people get from the EMPP?
How does Canada’s EMPP help globally?
Canada’s EMPP is part of their role in leading global efforts on labour mobility. The program sets an example for other countries and aligns with Canada’s goals to both support their economy and help people in need around the world.
Latest Article in Newcomer Resources: