If you’re ready to contribute to the safety and prosperity of Canada, this could be your chance. Read on to find out more about this exciting opportunity!
CBSA Jobs Hiring:
The CBSA is welcoming students who want to make a difference. As an SBSO, you’ll work alongside experienced BSOs in exciting situations, helping protect our nation’s well-being.
The hiring process kicks off on August 8, 2023. Make sure to apply early, as the recruitment process might take some time.
The deadline to submit your application is October 12, 2023. Don’t miss out!
If you’re hired, you can expect full-time employment from late April to early September 2024.
During autumn 2024 and winter 2025, part-time work might also be available. The best part? SBSOs earn an attractive hourly wage ranging from $16.84 to $34.59, based on their educational level.
SBSOs work at places like international airports, mail processing centers, cruise ship terminals, and telephone reporting centers.
But it’s important to note that they don’t carry guns as part of their duties.
Here are some locations where these student jobs can be found:
- Alberta: Calgary (Calgary International Airport), Edmonton (Edmonton International Airport)
- British Columbia: Richmond (Vancouver International Airport, CBSA Mail Processing Centre), Vancouver (Canada Place Cruise Ship Terminal)
- Manitoba: Winnipeg (James Armstrong Richardson International Airport)
- Newfoundland and Labrador: St. John’s (St. John’s International Airport)
- Nova Scotia: Halifax (Stanfield International Airport)
- Ontario: Hamilton (Hamilton International Airport and Hamilton Telephone Reporting Centre), London (London International Airport), Mississauga (International Mail Processing Centre), Ottawa (Macdonald-Cartier International Airport), Toronto (Pearson International Airport and Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport)
- Quebec: Dorval (Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport), Montréal Island (International Mail Processing Centre Léo Blanchette), Québec City (Jean Lesage International Airport)
- Saskatchewan: Regina (Regina International Airport), Saskatoon (John G. Diefenbaker International Airport)
To be eligible for the SBSO position, you will have to meet the following requirements:
- You need to be a full-time student at a recognized post-secondary school.
- Planning to return to full-time studies in September 2024
- You should be of majority age in your province.
- Even international students currently in Canada can apply. However, students in fields like criminology, law, safety/security studies, psychology, sociology, customs, and border services, or police studies get preference.
- Canadian citizens and permanent residents meeting the job criteria are also given priority.
After you apply, if you’re selected for the job, we’ll organize the following for you:
- A secret security clearance.
- A Restricted Area Identity Card (RAIC) if needed, along with a medical clearance from a doctor to ensure you’re physically able to handle the duties and training as an SBSO.
- Training on how to carry, use, and maintain the defensive equipment issued by the CBSA, if necessary.
For more information, Join CBSA’s virtual recruitment events for SBSOs on any of these dates:
- August 9, 2023
- August 11, 2023
- August 14, 2023
- August 16, 2023
- August 18, 2023
- August 21, 2023
- August 23, 2023
- August 25, 2023
- August 28, 2023
- August 30, 2023
If you’re selected, you’ll receive a paid, mandatory 5-week training session from CBSA. This training, scheduled between late April and July, covers Control and Defensive Tactics (CDT) for using and maintaining CBSA-issued defensive equipment (excluding duty firearms).
CBSA also covers the training costs. You’ll receive comprehensive classroom and online instruction, along with guidance and mentoring on the job.
If CBSA doesn’t contact you by December 2023, unfortunately, your application wasn’t selected for the 2024 positions.
Don’t miss out on this incredible opportunity to contribute to Canada’s safety and growth while gaining valuable experience. Apply today and be part of the CBSA team that makes a difference! For more details and to apply, visit the official CBSA website.