Are you planning a trip to Canada? Whether it’s for tourism, visiting friends and family, or a business visit, you may need a Canada Visitor Visa.
Furthermore, the IRCC provides a specific online application platform for individuals applying for Canada Visitor Visas. However, it’s important to note that the processing times may differ depending on the applicant’s country of origin.
In this easy-to-follow guide, we’ll walk you through the process of applying for a Canada Visitor Visa using the new IRCC portal.
Who Can Apply for a Canada Visitor Visa?
Before we dive into the application process, let’s understand who can apply for a Canada Visitor Visa. To be eligible, you must:
- Have a valid travel document, like a passport.
- Be in good health.
- Demonstrate strong ties to your home country, such as a job, home, family, or financial assets.
- Convince the visa officer that you’ll leave Canada at the end of your visit.
- Show that you have enough funds to support yourself during your stay.
- You may need a medical exam.
- If you’re visiting family or friends or for business purposes, a letter of invitation from a Canadian resident may be required.
How Long Can You Stay in Canada on a Visitor Visa?
As a visitor in Canada, you can stay for up to six months. However, the border services officer may allow you to stay longer or shorter, depending on your situation.
They will record the departure date in your passport or provide you with a visiting record.
- If your passport isn’t stamped, you can stay for up to six months from the day you entered or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.
- You can request a border services officer to stamp your passport if needed.
Applying for a Canada Visitor Visa: Step by Step
Now, let’s walk through the application process step by step using the new IRCC portal:
Using this invite code, you will need to sign up on the new IRCC portal and follow below below-listed steps to apply.
Step 1: Determine Your Application Type
To start your application, you need to specify if are applying only for yourself, for someone else, or both yourself and someone else.
Select the suitable option from the “Before you start your application” page to start the application process, as shown below.
Step 2: Application Status
Begin by choosing one of the three available options.
After your selection, you will encounter the following question: “Do you currently have an application in progress?” Depending on your situation, select either “Yes” or “No.”
- If you select “Yes,” indicating that you have an ongoing application, you have the option to initiate a new application and withdraw your current application. Please note that in this case, a refund may not be available.
- If you wish to proceed with your current application, select “I understand and want to apply.”
The following page will appear once you confirm your ongoing application.
Step 3: Create an Online Account
If you don’t have an application in process, create an online account and register using your email.
Select “Get an IRCC Portal account” to create an online account.
Step 4: Receive a Code
After registration, you’ll receive a code to sign up for an account. Then you can complete the online form and upload your required documents.
Step 5: Document Submission
You may need to answer some of the prompted questions that will generate a list of necessary documents.
Depending on your answer, you’ll get a list of the documents you need for your visa application.
Step 6: Pay Processing Fee
Once you’ve uploaded all your documents, pay the processing fee of $100.
Accepted payment methods include credit cards and prepaid cards from Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, JCB®, and UnionPay®.
By following these steps, you can successfully apply for a Canada Visitor Visa and prepare for your upcoming visit. Remember to stay updated with any changes in the application process, and best of luck with your journey to Canada!