Despite recent unpredictability, certain patterns are emerging in the past few weeks that could continue for the rest of the year.
Let’s break down what’s happening and how it might affect your journey.
On May 31st, 2023, Former Immigration Minister Sean Fraser announced an exciting development in Canada’s immigration system—introducing category-based selection draws for Express Entry candidates.
These are designed to bring in skilled workers in high-demand sectors, benefiting both the economy and newcomers. There are six categories, each focusing on specific attributes:
- French-Language Proficiency: If you’re strong in French, this category is for you. It also aims to promote Francophone immigration to non-Quebec regions.
- Healthcare: For those with experience in healthcare occupations.
- STEM Professions: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics specialists are in demand.
- Trades: If you’re a carpenter, plumber, or contractor, this category is worth exploring.
- Transport: Occupations in this field have a spot too.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food: For those with experience in this vital sector.
The distribution of Invitations to Apply (ITAs) has some exciting projections:
- STEM: Expect around 28-31% of ITAs for STEM candidates.
- French Proficiency: 11-15% for those with French language skills.
- Healthcare: 9-12% for healthcare professionals.
- Trades: 3-4% for skilled trades.
- Agriculture and Agri-Food: 1% for this sector.
- Transport: Also 1% for transport-related occupations.
However, not all upcoming invitations will follow the category-based approach. Up to now, the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) has invited 3,500 candidates through three different draws that consider all immigration programs.
These programs include the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), and Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) under Express Entry. These draws focus on a candidate’s overall CRS score, considering various factors, not just work experience or proficiency in French language.
Additionally, there might still be draws that target specific programs. For instance, IRCC might keep inviting Express Entry candidates who have also been nominated through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).
Tech Talent Strategy
Canada has started giving work permits to people in the US with an H-1B visa, especially those working in tech jobs. They received a lot of applications, hitting the 10,000 limit within just two days after starting the program on July 16, 2023.
Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)
The Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) evaluates Express Entry candidates based on key factors like work experience, job, age, education, and language skills.
There’s a difference between scores in category-based and all-program draws. The highest category-based score is 486, but still below the lowest all-program draw score of 505 since June 28.
Having a high CRS score is beneficial for candidates, regardless of the draw type. IRCC ranks and invites the highest-scoring candidates, and a high CRS score can improve eligibility for different draw types. A candidate eligible in a category draw could get an invite in an all-program draw, depending on the order of draws.
CRS Score of Express Entry Draws 2023
2023 Immigration Levels
Canada has ambitious goals for welcoming newcomers through Express Entry:
- 82,880 candidates are targeted for 2023.
- IRCC has already invited 73,448 candidates this year.
- More ITAs may be issued in the latter half of 2023 to meet the higher 2024 targets.
What’s Next in 2023
The rest of the year promises an interesting mix of draw types:
- Some draws will be all-program, based on CRS scores.
- Others will be category-based with lower CRS scores.
- Candidates with higher CRS scores have an advantage.
Canada’s Express Entry system is undergoing positive changes in 2023, with opportunities for skilled workers in specific categories. Keep an eye on ITAs, work on your CRS score, and consider the growing demand for tech talent. It’s an exciting time to make Canada your new home. Start preparing for your Express Entry journey today!